10 Awesome Ideas for Accent Reduction and Proper Pronunciation
People from all around the world usually find it difficult to understand English that has influence and pronunciation with other accents. These are generally the cases with the speakers who are not of the English origin. There are instances where they are said to repeat what they speak, and this can cause trouble not only at the personal level but also on the business platform. Accents can cause a major drawback in everyday communication. In order to reduce the influence of accent, people can enroll for the communication classes that can help them to overcome the barrier of accent that comes in automatically while speaking.
Ideas to reduce the accent barrier while speaking
A lot of non-native speakers tend to have an accent while speaking in English. This accent mostly comes in as an influence of the native language that they speak. This can cause difficulties in understanding for the English speakers. There are a lot of ideas that can be utilized by the speakers who have the influence of accents while speaking. They can reduce their accent influence by working on the following 10 ideologies:
- There is a difference in the pronunciation of alphabet sounds when spoken in a native language. The pronunciation of the alphabet “t” and “d” are often mixed while speaking. These are pronounced when the airflow is given a halt through a contact of the tip of the tongue and the gum behind the teeth on the upper half. Releasing the tongue at the right time while speaking produces the exact sound. Voicing discriminates between these sounds. The alphabet “D” is usually pronounced without any push in the air as it is completely done through voice. However, the “T” sound has no actual voice involved and completely based on pushing air.
- While pronouncing, if a speaker places their hands just above the throat, they can feel the difference of the alphabet sounds. This can be effective for many non-native speakers to rectify their accents.
- An individual having a native accent must try and speak in English as slow as possible. This greatly influences their pronunciation. Accent can be easily reduced when one speaks slowly, and it makes it easier for the hearer to understand. Native languages are often spoken by the speakers in a flat pitch, however, in English; the pitch fluctuates with almost all words spoken. Settling the pitch while speaking can be of great help to the non-native speakers to reduce their accents. This helps in imitation of the exact tone and pronunciation as desired.
- Non-native speakers must gradually get accustomed to immediate rise and fall in their pitch while speaking; this comes with time and practice. One needs to get accustomed to the way of speaking gradually over time and practice the tone of speaking frequently.
- Extra caution must be instigated while pronouncing the alphabets like “W” and “A.” A little pucker to the lips like a fish can be used while speaking these words. It must be ensured that there is no contact establishes between the teeth and the lip.
- Emphasizing the basic alphabets is the key. This highly influences the rate of speech along with pronunciation and punctuations. By handling this part, one can easily overcome the accent barrier. Regular practice sessions must be conducted and participated in speaking with a less gap between the teeth. This can be done by not opening up the mouth wide which can help in pronouncing the words in the correct way with reduced accents.
- For a hearer to understand what they hear, one must emphasize in alphabets like “V.” These pronunciations are mainly relevant to the words that start with the letter “V.” An individual can place their lower lip below the upper teeth and try to pronounce the alphabet “V.”
- There is a confusion often heard and seen while pronouncing the words starting with “D” and “Th.” In order to rectify the same, one must put the tongue between their teeth while pronouncing. This stops the pronunciation of “D” to be spoken and the words starting with “Th” can be heard without accents.
- Clearly speaking words rather than simply swallowing the same helps an individual to get rid of the accent barrier to a greater extent. The originality and the meaning of the words can be carried along with efficiency.
- There must be a significant pronunciation difference for the long and the short vowels. One must pronounce the longer vowels for a good span of time compared to the short ones. This difference helps in accent reduction and transparent speaking for better understanding.
Reduction of accent is an easy process if an individual desires to inhibit the same. This only comes over with practice. The skills of catching the right phrase and pronunciation in the right manner vary from person to person and are dependent on the efforts they put into it. The professional part of life can be enhanced and benefitted to a great extent if an individual can speak fluently without any accent influence. This makes it easier for them, as well as the people who listen and understand what is being said. While speaking to a person with reduced or no accent barriers, there are lesser stoppages and breaks as the receiver can understand what is being said clearly and the speaker gains more confidence in their fluency.